- Associate Professor
- Department of Economics
- RASEI Fellow
- University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309
- PhD Environmental Science and Management, University of California, Santa Barbara (2007)
- MA Economics, University of California, Santa Barbara (2003)
- BS Physics, University of St. Thomas (2002)
- BA Mathematics, University of St. Thomas (2002)
- Environmental and resource economics
- Property rights
- Urban economics
- Spatial and dynamic modeling
- Renewable energy
- Daniel Kaffine and Graham Davis. 'A multi-row deletion diagnostic for influential observations in small-sample regressions.' Accepted, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 2016. Multi-row Deletion Analysis - code and example (Matlab)
- Christopher Costello and Daniel Kaffine. 'Private conservation in spatial property right fisheries.' Accepted, Natural Resource Modeling, 2016.
- Jonathan Hughes and Daniel Kaffine. 'When is Increasing Consumption of Common Property Second Best? Sorting, Congestion and Entry in the Commons.' Accepted, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2016.
- Peifang Yang and Daniel Kaffine. 'Community-based tradable permits for localized pollution.' Accepted, Environmental and Resource Economics, 2015.
- Antonio Bento, Daniel Kaffine, Kevin Roth and Matthew Zaragoza-Watkins. 'The Effects of Regulation in the Presence of Multiple Unpriced Externalities: Evidence from the Transportation Sector.' American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 6(3): 1-29, 2014
- Nicholas Burger, Daniel Kaffine and Bob Yu. 'Did California's hand-held cell phone ban reduce accidents?' Transportation Research Part A, 66(1): 162-172, 2014.
- Harrison Fell and Daniel Kaffine, 'Can decentralized planning really achieve first-best in the presence of environmental spillovers?' Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 68(1): 46-53, 2014.
- Daniel Kaffine 'Scrap prices, waste and recycling policy.' Land Economics, 90(1): 169-180, 2014.
- Antonio Bento, Jonathan Hughes, and Daniel Kaffine. 'Carpooling and driver responses to fuel price changes: Evidence from traffic flows in Los Angeles.' Journal of Urban Economics, 77(1): 41-56, 2013.
- Daniel Kaffine, Brannin McBee and Jozef Lieskovsky. 'Emissions savings from wind power generation in Texas.' The Energy Journal, 34(1): 155-175, 2013. Working paper version with MISO and CAISO.
- Kaylee Acuff and Daniel Kaffine. 'Greenhouse gas emissions, waste and recycling policy.' Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 65(1): 74-86, 2013.
- Antonio Bento, Sofia Franco, and Daniel Kaffine. 'The welfare effects of anti-sprawl policies in the presence of urban decline.' Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, 40(3): 439-450, 2011.
- Antonio Bento, Sofia Franco, and Daniel Kaffine. 'Effectiveness of housing revitalization subsidies in the presence of zoning' Regional Science and Urban Economics, 41(3):196-206, 2011.
- Bob Yu and Daniel Kaffine. 'Blue Laws, DUIs and alcohol related accidents: Regression discontinuity evidence from Colorado.' The Journal of Economics, 27(1):21-38, 2011.
- Daniel Kaffine and Christopher Costello. 'Unitization of spatially-connected renewable resources.' The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, 11(1):Article 15, 2011.
- Antonio Bento, Sofia Franco, and Daniel Kaffine. 'Is there a double-dividend from anti-sprawl policies?' Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 61(2):135-152, 2011.
- Daniel Kaffine and Christopher Worley. 'The Windy Commons?' Environmental and Resource Economics, 47(2):151-172, 2010.
- Christopher Costello and Daniel Kaffine. 'Marine Protected Areas in spatial property rights fisheries.' Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 54(3):321-341 2010.
- Antonio Bento, Sofia Franco, and Daniel Kaffine. 'Efficiency and spatial impacts of development
taxes: The critical role of alternative revenue-recycling schemes.' American Journal of
Agricultural Economics, 91(5):1304-1311, 2009.
- Daniel Kaffine. 'Quality and the Commons: The Surf Gangs of California.' Journal of Law
and Economics, 52(4):727-743, 2009.
- Nicholas Burger and Daniel Kaffine. 'Gas prices, traffic, and freeway speeds in Los Angeles.'
Review of Economics and Statistics, 91(3):652-657, 2009.
- Christopher Costello and Daniel Kaffine. 'Natural resource use with limited-tenure property
rights.' Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 55(1):20-36, 2008.
- Heidi Albers, Michael Goldbach, and Daniel Kaffine. 'Implications of agricultural policy for
species invasion in shifting cultivation systems.' Environment and Development Economics,
- Antonio Bento, Sofia Franco, and Daniel Kaffine. 'The efficiency and distributional impacts of
alternative anti-sprawl policies.' Journal of Urban Economics, 59(1):121-141, 2006.
Kevin McCoy, Vitaliy Krasko, Paul Santi, Daniel Kaffine, and Steffen Rebennack. 'Minimizing economic impacts from post-fire debris flows in the western United States.' Natural Hazards, 83(1):149-176, 2016.2016.
Daniel Kaffine and Patrick O'Reilly. 'What Have We Learned About Extended Producer Responsibility in the Past Decade? A Survey of the Recent EPR Economic Literature.' OECD Environment Directorate, Working Party on Resource Productivity and Waste ENV/EPOC/WPRPW (2013)7/FINAL. Paris: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, 2015.
Daniel Kaffine, Brannin McBee, and Jozef Lieskovsky. 'Empirical estimates of emissions avoided from wind power generation.' USAEE Dialogues 19(1), 2011.
Working Papers and Papers in Review
Work in progress
- 'Emissions reductions or green booms? The general equilibrium effects of a Renewable Portfolio Standard' with Antonio Bento and Teevrat Garg
- 'Good neighbors? Microclimate impacts of wind farms on crop yields'
- 'Intermittency and CO2 reductions from wind energy' with Brannin McBee
- 'When Should Carpools in HOV Lanes be Encouraged?' with Jonathan Hughes