Discussion Feb 9
Attributes in need of clarification
- partial reinforcement: simply a reward that is not given too often
- emergent events: positive, result from user actions, extended in time, sense of progress with reduced (or no) effort
- character: think cute bunnies
- collecting: keep, not spend; often sets
- Others I'd like to be able to show: Puzzle Bobble, Rampart, Chuzzle
Additions to the Framework
- sound, music
- nostalgia, associations
- near misses as an amplifier of partial reinforcement
- the splat: how to characterize?
- cycles of tension and release: a unifying principal?
Do we have a useful sense of Fun Analysis?
Our goal:As designers, doing better than, "My game will be fun because I've copied X."