- Associate Professor
- Department of Economics
- RASEI Fellow
- University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309
- PhD Environmental Science and Management, University of California, Santa Barbara (2007)
- MA Economics, University of California, Santa Barbara (2003)
- BS Physics, University of St. Thomas (2002)
- BA Mathematics, University of St. Thomas (2002)
- Environmental and resource economics
- Property rights
- Urban economics
- Spatial and dynamic modeling
- Renewable energy
- Peifang Yang and Daniel Kaffine. 'Community-based tradable permits for localized pollution.' Accepted, Environmental and Resource Economics, 2015.
- Antonio Bento, Daniel Kaffine, Kevin Roth and Matthew Zaragoza-Watkins. 'The Effects of Regulation in the Presence of Multiple Unpriced Externalities: Evidence from the Transportation Sector.' American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 6(3): 1-29, 2014
- Nicholas Burger, Daniel Kaffine and Bob Yu. 'Did California's hand-held cell phone ban reduce accidents?' Transportation Research Part A, 66(1): 162-172, 2014.
- Harrison Fell and Daniel Kaffine, 'Can decentralized planning really achieve first-best in the presence of environmental spillovers?' Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 68(1): 46-53, 2014.
- Daniel Kaffine 'Scrap prices, waste and recycling policy.' Land Economics, 90(1): 169-180, 2014.
- Antonio Bento, Jonathan Hughes, and Daniel Kaffine. 'Carpooling and driver responses to fuel price changes: Evidence from traffic flows in Los Angeles.' Journal of Urban Economics, 77(1): 41-56, 2013.
- Daniel Kaffine, Brannin McBee and Jozef Lieskovsky. 'Emissions savings from wind power generation in Texas.' The Energy Journal, 34(1): 155-175, 2013. Working paper version with MISO and CAISO.
- Kaylee Acuff and Daniel Kaffine. 'Greenhouse gas emissions, waste and recycling policy.' Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 65(1): 74-86, 2013.
- Antonio Bento, Sofia Franco, and Daniel Kaffine. 'The welfare effects of anti-sprawl policies in the presence of urban decline.' Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, 40(3): 439-450, 2011.
- Antonio Bento, Sofia Franco, and Daniel Kaffine. 'Effectiveness of housing revitalization subsidies in the presence of zoning' Regional Science and Urban Economics, 41(3):196-206, 2011.
- Bob Yu and Daniel Kaffine. 'Blue Laws, DUIs and alcohol related accidents: Regression discontinuity evidence from Colorado.' The Journal of Economics, 27(1):21-38, 2011.
- Daniel Kaffine and Christopher Costello. 'Unitization of spatially-connected renewable resources.' The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, 11(1):Article 15, 2011.
- Antonio Bento, Sofia Franco, and Daniel Kaffine. 'Is there a double-dividend from anti-sprawl policies?' Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 61(2):135-152, 2011.
- Daniel Kaffine and Christopher Worley. 'The Windy Commons?' Environmental and Resource Economics, 47(2):151-172, 2010.
- Christopher Costello and Daniel Kaffine. 'Marine Protected Areas in spatial property rights fisheries.' Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 54(3):321-341 2010.
- Antonio Bento, Sofia Franco, and Daniel Kaffine. 'Efficiency and spatial impacts of development
taxes: The critical role of alternative revenue-recycling schemes.' American Journal of
Agricultural Economics, 91(5):1304-1311, 2009.
- Daniel Kaffine. 'Quality and the Commons: The Surf Gangs of California.' Journal of Law
and Economics, 52(4):727-743, 2009.
- Nicholas Burger and Daniel Kaffine. 'Gas prices, traffic, and freeway speeds in Los Angeles.'
Review of Economics and Statistics, 91(3):652-657, 2009.
- Christopher Costello and Daniel Kaffine. 'Natural resource use with limited-tenure property
rights.' Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 55(1):20-36, 2008.
- Heidi Albers, Michael Goldbach, and Daniel Kaffine. 'Implications of agricultural policy for
species invasion in shifting cultivation systems.' Environment and Development Economics,
- Antonio Bento, Sofia Franco, and Daniel Kaffine. 'The efficiency and distributional impacts of
alternative anti-sprawl policies.' Journal of Urban Economics, 59(1):121-141, 2006.
Working Papers and Papers in Review
- Jonathan Hughes and Daniel Kaffine. 'When is Increasing Consumption of Common Property Second Best? Sorting, Congestion and Entry in the Commons.' Revisions requested, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2015.
- Christopher Costello and Daniel Kaffine. 'Private conservation in spatial property right fisheries.' Revisions requested, Natural Resource Modeling, 2015.
- Daniel Kaffine and Graham Davis. 'A simple multi-row deletion approach to examine sample robustness in growth regressions.' Revisions requested, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 2015. Multi-row Deletion Analysis - code and example (Matlab)
- Christopher Costello and Daniel Kaffine. 'Natural Resource Federalism,' submitted 2015.
- Harrison Fell and Daniel Kaffine. 'A one-two punch: Joint effects of natural gas abundance and renewables on coal-fired power plants' , submitted 2015
- Ed Balistreri, Daniel Kaffine, and Hidemichi Yonezawa. 'Optimal environmental border adjustments under the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade' , submitted 2015. See also.
- Harrison Fell, Daniel Kaffine, and Daniel Steinberg. 'Energy efficiency and emission intensity standards' 2015
Work in progress
- 'Emissions reductions or green booms? The general equilibrium effects of a Renewable Portfolio Standard' with Antonio Bento and Teevrat Garg
- 'Good neighbors? Microclimate impacts of wind farms on crop yields'
- 'Intermittency and CO2 reductions from wind energy' with Brannin McBee