An unmoderated list for the discussion of topics pertaining
to lighter-than-air (helium/hydrogen) gas-filled airships: dirigibles,
blimps, balloons. Both contemporary and historical aspects are
welcome. Subjects covered include Zeppelins, U.S. Navy airships,
British dirigibles, and the like.
Although this is an unmoderated list, subscribers must abide by Listserv Etiquette posted below.
This list relies on the integrity of its members to treat each other with respect. Interventions will occur when deemed necessary.
(Freely adapted from the University of Arizona)
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited.
- Name calling, bullying, and demeaning comments directed at other list members will not be tolerated.
- Never use a list for personal attacks or profanity.
- If you wouldn't say it in a crowded room for all to hear, don't write it in a message.
- Members whose messages do not meet minimum expectations will be excluded from the list.
- Always remember that you're interacting with people so be mindful of what you write; never write anything you wouldn't say to someone directly.
- Write only public (never private) messages; lists are a public forum, personal comments or criticisms should be sent directly to the person, not the entire list.
- When you are replying to a list message be sure to note to whom you are replying; lists are often set up to reply to the list. If your reply isn't of interest to everyone on the list change the TO: address to the person to whom your reply is directed.
- Sign your posting including brief contact information. You can use the signature that you've set up in your mail client or simply type in the information at the end of your note.
- Stick to the purpose of the list; the more topic-specific the contributions are, the more useful the list is for everyone.
- Make the subject line descriptive.
- Be brief, professional, clear, and logical.
- Avoid me too-isms. If you're writing the original message include the name and contact information for the person to whom the response should be sent.
- Avoid making political comments.
- Don't send chain letters, spam, flames (an abusive message about another person), or solicitations.
- If you need to raise off-topic issues, use "OFF TOPIC:" in caps in your subject preceding the description.
- The less formatting the better; many different email clients will be used to read the messages. Some of those could be plain text email readers that can't handle fancy formatting. Plain text is always best.
- Keep attachments under 100k or use links that point to large files. Not everyone has broadband.
- Don't type the whole message in caps, it's the equivalent of shouting.
- Always proof read and edit your message before you press the send button. Poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation are unprofessional, and do not speak well of the sender.
- Edit the original message in your replies; leave a few lines to recall the topic you're addressing, but not the entire previous message(s).
- When forwarding a message to the list take out the original header information; if it's included it can cause a delivery error.
How to to subscribe / unsubscribe
Should you wish to subscribe yourself to this list, send a
with the subject line being blank and the content of your message
subscribe airship-list yourfirstname yourlastname
subscribe airship-list Hugo Eckener
Should you wish to unsubscribe yourself from this list, follow
the above instructions but substitute the word "unsubscribe"
for "subscribe" in the message.
- Date created: 28 November 1995
- List launched: 4 January 1996
- Subscribers: 332 (12 July 2011)
via Reality Sculptors: project begun February 2003. This project was abandoned. Extremely