1. What is an ontological scheme? What does it mean to say that the scheme has to be both "exclusive" and "exhaustive"?
2. (a) State the theory Typical Materialism (TM). Define all technical terms.
(b) Give an example of a physical object. Why is this thing a physical object?
(c) Give an example of a physical property. What makes this property a physical property?
(d) Give an example of a mental property. What makes this property a mental property?
3. PEE* the Argument from Mindful Sentences Against TM.
4. (a) Define and explain the meaning of 'identity' as we used it in class.
(b) Contrast this concept with the concept of exact similarity.
(c) Give an example of a false identity sentence. (An identity sentence is a sentence of this form: "x is identical to y.")
(d) Give an example of a true and informative identity sentence.
(e) State the Principle about Identity.
5. (a) Present
and Explain Descartes' Argument from Doubt Against TM.
(b) Present and Explain The Parody Argument (the one involving Oedipus).
(c) Does The Parody Argument provide support for of cast doubt upon Descartes' Argument from Doubt? How?
6. (a) State the theory Cartesian Dualism (CD). Define all technical terms.
(b) State and discuss what you take to be the strongest of the alleged advantages of CD.
7. PEE* both versions of the Problem of Other Minds (against CD).