C. Lee, S. J. Archuleta Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0427
Editor, ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging
firstname.lastname@example.org (email); (303)492-3393 (phone)
Yung-Cheng (YC) Lee received his BSME degree from the National Taiwan University in 1978, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Minnesota, in 1982 and 1984, respectively.
Y. C. Lee is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Colorado - Boulder. From 2006 to 2012, he was the Director of DARPA Center on Nanoscale Science and Technology for Integrated Micro/Nano-Electromechanical Transducers (iMINT). From 1993 to 2002, he was the Associate Director of the NSF Center for Advanced Manufacturing and Packaging of Microwave, Optical and Digital Electronics (CAMPmode). Prior to joining the University, he was at AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey. Dr. Lee's research focuses on the integration of microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) and nanoelectromechanical systems (NEMS) with microelectronic, optoelectronic and microwave devices. Dr. Lee is the Editor of ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging (2014 íV 2019). He was an Associate Editor of the journal from 2002 to 2004. He also served as a Guest Editor for special issues on Packaging for Micro/Nano-Scale Systems for IEEE Transaction on Advanced Packaging (2003, 2005 and 2007). He is an ASME Fellow and has received the following awards: Presidential Young Investigator (NSF, 1990); Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award (SME, 1992); Outstanding Paper Award (IEEE-ECTC, 1991); Outstanding Paper Award (ASME J. of Electronic Packaging, 1993); Honorable Mention Paper Award (IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, 2003); Meritorious Paper Award (GOMACTech-03); CU-ME Woodward Outstanding Mechanical Engineering Faculty Award, 2005-2006; ASME Electronic and Photonic Packaging DivisioníŽs Mechanics Award in 2007; CU-ME Department Outstanding Service Award, 2008; and ASME InterPACK Achievement Award, 2013.
2014 to present Editor, ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging
2011 to present S. J. Archuleta Endowed Professorship
2006 to 2012 Director, DARPA Center for Integrated Micro/Nano-Electromechanical Transducers
2006 to 2012 Administrative Director, Nanomaterials Characterization Facility
1999 to present Professor, Mechanical Engineering
2001 to 2002 Acting Director, CAMPmode, Boulder, Colorado
1993 to 2002 Associate Director, CAMPmode, Boulder, Colorado
1993 to 1999 Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
1989 to 1993 Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
1984 to 1989 Member of Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Labs-Murray Hill
1980 to 1984 Research Assistant, University of Minnesota.
1. Optoelectronic packaging, John Wiley and Sons, editors: Alan R. Mickelson, N. Bassavahally, and Y. C. Lee, 1997.
2. Manufacturing challenges in electronic packaging, editors: Y. C. Lee and W. T. Chen, Chapman and Hall Pub., 1998.
3. Micro- and Opto-Electronic Materials and Structures: Physics, Mechanics, Design, Reliability, Packaging, Two-Volume Book, ed. by E. Suhir, Y. C. Lee and C. P. Wong, Springer, 2007.
Ten Recent Representative Publications
1. Self-assembled lipid and membrane protein polyhedral nanoparticles, Tamara Basta, Hsin-Jui Wu, Mary K. Morphew, Jonas Lee, Nilanjan Ghosh, Jeffery Lai, John M. Heumann, Keeshia Wang, Y.C. Lee, Douglas C Rees, and Michael Stowell, PNAS, 111: 670-674, 2014.
2. Thermal Stress in MEMS. In Hetnarski RB (ed.) Encyclopedia of Thermal Stresses, Vol. 9, Springer Dordrecht, Heidelberg, Wang Y, Kong M, Lee YC, 2014, pp. 5237-5248.
3. Capillary evaporation on micromembrane-enhanced microchannel wicks with atomic layer deposited silica, Xianming Dai, Mehdi Famouri, Aziz I. Abdulagatov, Ronggui Yang, Yung-Cheng Lee, Steven M. George, and Chen Li, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 151602 , 2013.
4. Ultra-Low Thermal Conductivity of Atomic/Molecular Layer Deposited (ALD/MLD) Hybrid Organic-Inorganic Thin Films, Nano Letters, Jun Liu, Byunghoon Yoon, Eli Kuhlmann, Miao Tian, Xiaokun Gu, Steven M. George, Yung-Cheng Lee, and Ronggui Yang, Vol. 13, pp. 5594-5599, 2013.
5. Microfluidic Device for Super-fast Evaluation of Membrane Protein Crystallization, Hsin-Jui Wu, Tamara Basta, Mary Morphew, D. C. Rees, Michael H. B. Stowell, and Y. C. Lee, Micro & Nano Letters, Volume 8, Issue 10, October 2013, p. 672 íV 675.
6. Binder-Free Three Dimensional Silicon-Carbon Nanowire Networks for High Performance Lithium Ion Battery Anodes, Nano Energy, Wei Wang, Miao Tian, Yujie Wei, Sehee Lee, Yung-Chen Lee, and Ronggui Yang, Vol. 2, pp. 943íV950, 2013.
7. Micromembrane Enhanced Capillary Evaporation, Xianming Dai, Fanghao Yang, Yung-Cheng Lee, Ronggui Yang, and Chen Li, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 64, 1101-1108, 2013.
8. Flat Flexible Polymer Heat Pipes, Christopher Oshman, Qian Li, Li-Anne Liew, Ronggui Yang, Victor Bright, and Y.C. Lee, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 23, Art # 015001, 7 pages, January 2013.
9. The Development of Polymer-Based Planar Micro Cryogenic Coolers, Yunda Wang, Ryan Lewis, M.-H. Lin, Ray Radebaugh and Y.C. Lee, ASME/IEEE J. of MEMS, 2013 Volume 22, Issue 1, pp.244-252.
10. Experimental Investigation of Low-pressure Refrigerant Mixtures for Micro Cryogenic Coolers, Ryan Lewis, Yunda Wang, Peter E. Bradley, Marcia L. Huber, Ray Radebaugh, Y.C. Lee, Cryogenics, February 2013, Pages 37íV43.
Representative Committee Services for Professional Conferences
1. NSF Workshop on Optoelectronic Packaging, 1991, workshop organizer.
2. NSF Symposium on Optoelectronic Packaging Science, 1992, steering committee.
3. ASME Symp. on the Manufacturing Aspects in Elec. Packaging, 1992, symposium organizer.
4. NSF Workshop on Optoelectronic Packaging, 1993, Program Chairman.
5. ASME Symp. on the Manufacturing Aspects in Elec. Packaging, 1993, symposium organizer.
6. NSF International Workshop on Optoelectronic Packaging, 1994, program chair.
7. SPIE Symposium on Optoelectronic Packaging, 1996, symposium co-organizer.
8. SPIE Symp. on Micro-Optics Integration and Assemblies, 1998, symposium co-organizer.
9. IMAPS Adv. Tech. Workshop on MEMS Packaging, 1999, Technical Program Co-chair.
10. ASME IMECE, Orlando, November 5-11, 2005, Session Chair.
11. ASME IMECE, Chicago, November 6-10, 2006, Session Chair.