(YC) Lee, S. J. Archuleta Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0427
Editor, ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging (http://electronicpackaging.org)
firstname.lastname@example.org (email); (303)492-3393 (phone)
Yung-Cheng (YC) Lee received his BSME degree from the National Taiwan University in 1978, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Minnesota, in 1982 and 1984, respectively.
Y. C. Lee is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Colorado - Boulder. From 2006 to 2012, he was the Director of DARPA Center on Nanoscale Science and Technology for Integrated Micro/Nano-Electromechanical Transducers (iMINT). From 1993 to 2002, he was the Associate Director of the NSF Center for Advanced Manufacturing and Packaging of Microwave, Optical and Digital Electronics (CAMPmode). Prior to joining the University, he was at AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey. Dr. Lee's research focuses on the integration of microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) and nanoelectromechanical systems (NEMS) with microelectronic, optoelectronic and microwave devices. Dr. Lee is the Editor of ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging (2014 íV 2019). He was an Associate Editor of the journal from 2002 to 2004. He also served as a Guest Editor for special issues on Packaging for Micro/Nano-Scale Systems for IEEE Transaction on Advanced Packaging (2003, 2005 and 2007). He is an ASME Fellow and has received the following awards: Presidential Young Investigator (NSF, 1990); Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award (SME, 1992); Outstanding Paper Award (IEEE-ECTC, 1991); Outstanding Paper Award (ASME J. of Electronic Packaging, 1993); Honorable Mention Paper Award (IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, 2003); Meritorious Paper Award (GOMACTech-03); CU-ME Woodward Outstanding Mechanical Engineering Faculty Award, 2005-2006; ASME Electronic and Photonic Packaging DivisioníŽs Mechanics Award in 2007; CU-ME Department Outstanding Service Award, 2008; ASME InterPACK Achievement Award, 2013; CU-ME Department Woodward Award, 2014; and CU-ME Department Outstanding Service Award, 2015.
2015 to present President and CEO, Kelvin Thermal Technologies, Inc.
2014 to present Editor, ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging
2011 to present S. J. Archuleta Endowed Professorship
2006 to 2012 Director, DARPA Center for Integrated Micro/Nano-Electromechanical Transducers
2006 to 2012 Administrative Director, Nanomaterials Characterization Facility
1999 to present Professor, Mechanical Engineering
2001 to 2002 Acting Director, CAMPmode, Boulder, Colorado
1993 to 2002 Associate Director, CAMPmode, Boulder, Colorado
1993 to 1999 Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
1989 to 1993 Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
1984 to 1989 Member of Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Labs-Murray Hill
1980 to 1984 Research Assistant, University of Minnesota.
1. Optoelectronic packaging, John Wiley and Sons, editors: Alan R. Mickelson, N. Bassavahally, and Y. C. Lee, 1997.
2. Manufacturing challenges in electronic packaging, editors: Y. C. Lee and W. T. Chen, Chapman and Hall Pub., 1998.
3. Micro- and Opto-Electronic Materials and Structures: Physics, Mechanics, Design, Reliability, Packaging, Two-Volume Book, ed. by E. Suhir, Y. C. Lee and C. P. Wong, Springer, 2007.
4. MEMS Packaging, editors: Y. C. Lee, Y. T. Cheng, and Ramesh Ramadoss, to be published in 2017 by World Scientific Publishing.
Ten Recent Representative Publications
1. Development of Ultra-Thin Thermal Ground Planes by Using Stainless-Steel Mesh as Wicking Structure, Shanshan Xu, Ryan John Lewis, Li-Anne Liew, Yung-Cheng Lee, Ronggui Yang, IEEE/ASME Journal of Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems Letters, October 2016, pp. 842-844.
2. Characterization of Thin Film Dissolution in Water with in Situ Monitoring of Film Thickness Using Reflectometry, A. Yersak, R. Lewis, J. Tran, Y.-C. Lee, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2016, 8, 17622-17630.
3. Use of a Gel Finger to Feel the Skin Temperatures of a Smartphone, Akshay Sripada, Morgan Rohlfing, Raymond Vijaendreh, Brenden Spetzler, Ramsey Abdulhamid, Aaron Porras, Y. C. Lee, Ashish Gupta and Enisa Harris, ASME. J. Electron. Packag. 2016;138(3):031001-031001-8.
4. Probabilistic distributions of pinhole defects in atomic layer deposited films on polymeric substrates, Alex Yersak and Y.C. Lee, AVS Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology, pp. 01A130-1 to 01A130-7, January 2016.
5. Microfabricated ultra-thin all-polymer thermal ground planes, Lewis R, Liew L-A, Xu S, Lee Y-C, Yang R., SCIENCE BULLETIN 60(7):701-706 1 Apr 2015.
6. A Three-Dimensional Carbon Nano-Network for High Performance Lithium Ion Batteries, Miao Tian, Wei Wang, Yang Liu, Katherine L. Jungjohann, C. Thomas Harris, Yung-Cheng Lee, and Ronggui Yang, Nano Energy, Vol. 11, pp. 500-509, 2015.
7. Thin Flexible Thermal Ground Planes: Fabrication and Scaling Characterization, Ryan Lewis, Shanshan Xu, Li-Anne Liew, Collin Coolidge, Ronggui Yang, Y.C. Lee, IEEE/ASME Journal of Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems, Vol. 24, pp.2040-2048, 2015.
8. A monolithic polyimide micro cryogenic cooler: design, fabrication and test, Y. Wang, R. Leweis, R. Radebaugh, M. M-H Lin, V. M. Bright and Y. C. Lee, IEEE J. of Microelecromechanical Systems, Vol. 23, pp. 934-943, 2014.
9. Atmospheric pressure spatial atomic layer deposition web coating with in situ monitoring of film thickness, A. Yersak, Y. Lee, J. Spencer, M. Groner, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A, 32:01A130, 2014.
10. Self-assembled lipid and membrane protein polyhedral nanoparticles, Tamara Basta, Hsin-Jui Wu, Mary K. Morphew, Jonas Lee, Nilanjan Ghosh, Jeffery Lai, John M. Heumann, Keeshia Wang, Y.C. Lee, Douglas C Rees, and Michael Stowell, PNAS, 111: 670-674, 2014.
Representative Committee Services for Professional Conferences
1. Editor, ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, 2014-present.
4. NSF Workshop on Optoelectronic Packaging, 1991, workshop organizer.
5. NSF Symposium on Optoelectronic Packaging Science, 1992, steering committee.
6. ASME Symp. on the Manufacturing Aspects in Elec. Packaging, 1992, symposium organizer.
7. NSF Workshop on Optoelectronic Packaging, 1993, Program Chairman.
8. ASME Symp. on the Manufacturing Aspects in Elec. Packaging, 1993, symposium organizer.
9. NSF International Workshop on Optoelectronic Packaging, 1994, program chair.
10. SPIE Symposium on Optoelectronic Packaging, 1996, symposium co-organizer.
11. SPIE Symp. on Micro-Optics Integration and Assemblies, 1998, symposium co-organizer.
12. IMAPS Adv. Tech. Workshop on MEMS Packaging, 1999, Technical Program Co-chair.
13. ASME IMECE, Orlando, November 5-11, 2005, Session Chair.
14. ASME IMECE, Chicago, November 6-10, 2006, Session Chair.