These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other
organization or individual unless written permission is obtained from the author.
WILLIAM WALLACE AND ROXEY JANE (CARTER) BURCH
William Wallace Burch was born 31 Jul 1844 in Van Buren Co Iowa to William D and Nancy (Elliott) Burch. After coming to Colo he met and married Roxey Jane Carter who was born 19 Dec 1850 in Ohio. They were married at Pella, Nebr Territory, 14 Nov 1867. Roxey Jane died 2 Feb 1908 at her home in Hygiene and they are both buried in the Hygiene Cemetery.
In 1862 William W, his brother Jim and a man named Johnson walked from Des Moines, Iowa to Colorado. All they had with them were back packs and a rifle apiece. The Civil War was on, and the Indians had been causing trouble as they knew the Union had taken the soldiers from the frontier posts. A passing wagon train gladly accepted the extra protection of the three men with their guns. They traveled along, driving the milk cows as they crossed the plains to the Upper St. Vrain Crossing, or Pella, in Nebraska Territory.
The village of Pella sprang up in the early 1860's. It was located on the St. Vrain river south of what is now Hygiene, Colo.
William W. homesteaded north of Pella. In 1867 he married Roxey Jane Carter who had come from Ohio in a covered wagon with her parents, J.H. Clay Carter and Sarah (Downer) Carter. The young couple lived on his homestead until 1872 when their house burned. Then they moved to Sunshine, where he operated a livery stable and freighted ore and mining supplies. In 1882 they returned to Hygiene and friends and neighbors helped them build a new house just east of Burch Lake, which was on his farm. He was a very active man, with wide interests. Over the years, records show he raised hogs and cattle, planted an orchard from which he supplied the mining towns of Jimtown, Sunshine, Gold Hill and Ward with fruit and fresh meat. For many years he threshed grain and at one time operated two threshing machines, a corn sheller, and a ditch digger. He was an officer in the Hygiene Dairy Co and worked to promote the Hygiene Cheese Co and factory. He worked for the development of lakes and irrigation ditches, served on the school board and was road overseer for the Lyons district for a year. In 1880 he deeded land to the United Brethern Church and hauled lumber from his ranch in Beaver Park for the building. after his wife died he bought a great amount of land near Nunn Colo and farmed there until bad health forced him to retire; He died at the home of his oldest daughter, Henrietta Broughton on 31 Jul 1910 and is buried beside his wife in the Hygiene Cemetery .
Chn of William and Roxey (Carter) Burch
- i Henrietta, born 7 Nov 1868 in Hygiene, Boulder Co, Colo; Married 23 Dec 1893 to Charles Broughton at Hygiene Colorado. Charles died 12 Jul 1921 and was buried in Columbia Cemetery, Boulder Colorado. Etta died 25 Feb 1939 in Hygiene and was buried there. They had one son, Earl, born 23 Jul 1896 at Hygiene Colorado. He married Anna Belle Bucherdee at Lyons Colo, 23 Aug 1917. She died 28 Dec 1918 and Earl died 14 Jun 1945.
- ii Lettie, born 3 Apr 1870 at Hygiene, Boulder Co, Colo; She died 11 May 1880 at Sunshine, Colo and is buried in the Hygiene Cemetery.
iii Frank Henry, b 11 Oct 1872
Frank Henry Burch, born 11 Oct 1872 at Hygiene Colorado. He married Nellie M Cochran, born 18 Jan 1874 near Lyons, Boulder Co, Colo to James A and Grace M (Rannells) Cochran. She died in the Longmont Hospital 9 Apr 1934 and was buried in the Hygiene Cemetery; The young couple lived at Hygiene where he farmed and operated farm machinery for his father. In Jan of 1913 he was appointed deputy sheriff for Lafayette Colo where the coal miners were striking and causing a great deal of trouble; He served there unti1 1916 when he and Frank Brand purchased a ranch on Left Hand creek where he raised cattle and did maintenance work on the county road. After his wife's death he spent most of his time at his daughter's home in Boulder. Frank died 15 Feb 1958 in Boulder Colo and is buried beside his wife in the Hygiene Cemetery.
Chn of Frank and Nellie Burch
- i William James, born 9 Mar 1895 at Hygiene Boulder Co, Colo; He married Ada Strong 16 Sep 1916 in"Boulder, Colo; He died 27 Dec 1918 in Longmont, Colo.
- ii Grace Irene, born 28 Dec 1898 at Hygiene, Boulder Co, Colo; She married Boyd Twain Clemens, 11 Jan 1925 in G1endale, Cal, where her death occurred 5 Aug 1925; She is buried in the Hygiene Cemetery.
- iii Wanda Evelyn, born 7 May 1906 at Hygiene, Boulder Co , Colo ; She married 2 May 1925 Benjamin Franklin Armstead, son of William and Caroline Fry Armstead. He was born 2 Aug 1902 in Byron, Thayer Co, Nebr and died 26 Mar 1973.
- iv James Arthur, b 19 Dec 1874 James Arthur Burch, born 19 Dec 1874 in Sunshine, Boulder Co, Colo; He married, in Boulder Margaret Griffiths born 26 Mar 1882 in Leadville, Lake Co, Colo, on 26 Dec 1902; Margaret died in Sunshine, Colo 21 Mar 1954; James died in Boulder, Colo 5 Dec 1925. His early life was spent ranching and mining and in later years he was a cement finisher.
Chn of James and Margaret (Griffiths) Burch
- i William Frank, b 21 Oct 1903 in Springdale, Boulder Co, Colo; He died 31 Jan 1957 in Sunshine, Boulder Co, Colo.
- ii Mabel Ruth, b 9 Mar 1905 in Springdale, Colo; She died -- Apr 1908 on her grandparents ranch on Lee Hill and was buried in the Hygiene Cemetery:
- iii Richard Arthur, b 19 Dec 1906 in Boulder, Boulder Co, Colo, d 1 Jun 1988; He married 7 Apr 1930, Mildred Walker, b 3 Dec 1909 in Franklin Co, Nebr, d 1 Jan 1996. They had one daughter Daisy Belle b 5 Jan 1931; In Oct of 1953 Daisy married Richard Malcom Simmons, b 25 Aug 1928 and they have one adopted son, Michael, b 29 Sep 1958
- iv Dorothy Winifred b 22 Feb 1911in Boulder, Boulder Co, Colo, d 17 Feb 1998; She married 7 Apr 1930 Clair Raymond Walker born in Harlan Co, Nebr on 11 Apr 1907, d 1 Apr 1996.
- v Mary Molly, born 17 Jan 1876 in Sunshine, Boulder Co, Colo ; She married Joseph F Kelly 8 Sep 1896 in Hygiene Colo; In 1915 Mary Molly and Joseph separated and she raised her children on the old home place in Hygiene.
Chn of Mary Molly (Burch) and Joseph Kelly
- i Marvin, b in 1898 in Sunshine, Colo;
He married Hazel Pennington and they had three children: William, Robert, and Nancy June. She was born 13 Jun 1935.
- ii Mildred, b in Jan 1900 in Hygiene, Cola; She married Walter Sherman and they had two daughters: Leta May who married Ed Greenwald. They had three children (names not known). Mildred and Walter's second child was Betty Jane b 16 Aug 1935. Betty and her husband had one son.
- iii Willard Kelly, born 18 Apr 1902 in Longmont, Colo, was married in Reno, Nev on 6 Sep 1930 to Faith Moore. Faith was born 9 Apr 1914 in Battle Creek, Mich.
- vi Elizabeth Pearl, born 1 Dec 1880 in Sunshine, Colo;
on 24 Mar 1901 she married Edgar A. Teter, born 21 Sep 1869 in Lucas Co, Iowa. He was a farmer, and in the winter months was employed by the State of Colorado as a trapper. Pearl died 2 Feb 1945 and Edgar, 18 May 1949. They are both buried
in the Hygiene Cemetery.
Chn of Elizabeth Pearl (Burch) and Edgar Teter
- i Ora Wesley, b 26 Jul 1902 in Longmont Colo, on 9 Aug 1923 he married Vivian Iola Dagle,, born 12 Dec 1907 in Dragon Utah. Most of their married life was spent in Washington where Ora farmed and worked as a butcher. He died 1 Feb 1979 in Ellensburg, Wash.
- ii Gertrude, b 28 Feb 1904 in Berthoud, Colo; She
taught in the St Vrain schools, in the Longmont area from
1923-1935, and was a postal clerk in Oregon from 1950-1969.
On 20 Nov 1926 she married William Bela Prechtl, born 31 Jan
1903 in Grunau Hungary
- iii Lewis Edgar Teter, born 26 Apr 1906 in Nunn, Colo;
His occupations were: farmer, miner, and railroad employee. In Longmont, Colo, in Nov 1937, he was married to Evelyn bethel Dagle, born 11 Mar 1922. They had ten chn. Lewis' second marriage was to Mrs Helen (Dagle) Woods, born in
1914 in Utah.
- iv Dorothy Marie Teter, born 23 Jun 1911 in Nunn, Colo; She and Warren Floyd Kellogg, born 18 Sep 1901 were married in McMinnville, Ore on 26 Oct 1929. Their married life was spent in Oregon where Warren ran their ranch and Dorothy was an Xray technician in a medical clinic in Coos Bay, Ore. Warren died 17 Jan 1971 and is buried in Coos Bay. Dorothy died May 20, 2000.
- vii Annie Jane, b Apr 1884 at Hygiene, Boulder Co Colorado. She died Jul 1884 and is buried in the Hygiene Cemetery
- viii William Jay Burch, born 17 Jun 1886 in Hygiene, Colo; he and Molly Mc Ginnis, born 8 Aug 1886 were married 26 Feb 1905 in Boulder, Colo; He was a farmer and in later years, and worked for the county on road maintenance.
Chn of Wm Jay and Molly (Mc Ginnis) Burch
- i Alice Theolla, born 3 May 1906 in Hygiene, Colo; She married, 17 Jan 1925, Willard J Massek born 17 Jun 1905. They owned and operated a bakery in Loveland for many years.
- ii Vernon Foye, born 7 Oct 1909 in Hygiene, Colo, was married to Katherine Sherman on 5 July 1938 in Castle Rock,, Colo. he farmed in the Longmont area and later worked as a mechanic. He died 3 Aug 1974 and is buried in the Foothills Cemetery in Longmont, Colo.
- iii Lowell, born 17 Nov 1912 in Bradshaw, Nebr; He first married Mildred Kirkpatrick in Brighton, Colo on 8 May 1937 and they had one daughter, Bille Grace, b 13 Jun 1938. He later married Mrs Nicky Carson on 17 Mar 1972 in Greeley, Colo. He worked as a butcher, miner, and later as maintenance man at Colorado Agricultural College.
- iv Lawrence Richard, born 23 May 1915 in Hygiene, Colo; He served in the navy, stationed in Hawaii, in World War II. At the time of his death on 22 May 1974, he was the city treasurer of Vernon, Cal. He is buried in the Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale, Cal.
- v Glen Virden, born 8 Oct 1923 in Hygiene, Colo; He enlisted in the Air Force in World War II and was stationed in England. In Greeley Colo, on 17 Mar 1946, he married Mrs. Margaret Sprague. He is now with The Bureau of Reclamation at Glen Canyon Dam, Page, Arizona.
- vi Maxine Leona, born 25 Oct 1925 in Hygiene, Colo; She was married 5 Dec 1948 in Loveland, Colo, to Luther Mc Farland. They live in Denver, Colo, where he is a barber and she is employed in a bank.
- vii Mary Lou, born 14 Nov 1929 in Hygiene, Colo; She was married on 14 Nov 1947 to Loren Flowerdew. Loren is employed by the Colorado State Highway Dept.
- ix Robert Clay, born 8 Apr 1888 in Hygiene, Colo; He married, Nov 1909 in Greeley, Colo, Mabel Strong who was born 5 Jan 1892 in Sharpsburg, Iowa. Robert worked for The Arapahoe Chemical Co. and the Boulder County road Dept. until his retirement. He died 1 Feb 1964 an] Mabel died 13 Dec 1974. Both are buried in Mt. View Cem. in Boulder, Colo.
Chn of Robert Clay and Mabel (Strong) Burch
- i Cecil Roxey, born 2 Sep 1910 in Nunn, Colo; On 18 Dec 1943, in Denver, Colo, she married Ralph Siglinger, b 11 Feb 1904 in Loveland, Colo. Most of their married life has been spent in the Longmont area.
- ii Virginia Grace, born 28 Jul 1917 in Leeton, Ut; On 17 Apr 1937 she married Vincent Nelson, born 20 May 1914 in Pueblo, Colo. They have lived mostly in the Grand Junction area, where Vincent worked for power companies as a tree trimmer. They have a daughter, Norma Jean, born 8 Jan 1938 in Youngstown Ohio; She married Gilbert D Speaker, born 9 Oct 1937 in Briggsdale, Colo.
Contributor: Wanda Armstead, Boulder, Colorado