These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other
organization or individual unless written permission is obtained from the author.
THE JAMES ALLEN COCHRAN FAMILY
Grace Rannells Cochran and James Allen Cochran
James Allen Cochran was born 31 May 1843 in Richfield, Clay County, MO, the son of Hugh and Mariah (Stockton) Cochran, both born in Ohio. The family later moved to Caldwell County, MO, where the father died in 1857. James A. enlisted in the 1st Company of Home Guards of Caldwell County at Mirabile, 18 June 1861 and was discharged at the same place 12 Oct. 1861. He came to the St. Vrain valley in Boulder County by ox team 10 May 1864.
On 21 July 1864, James A. Cochran and Grace Maria Rannells were married at Valmont, Colorado by Rev. Charles M. Campbell. Grace Maria was born 29 Sept 1845 at Athens, Athens County, OH, the daughter of Samuel F. and Sarah (Bay) Rannells, another Boulder County pioneer family.
After their marriage James A. and Grace M. Cochran lived near
Valmont until 1865 when they moved to Missouri, settling near
Cameron In Caldwell County. In 1868 they came back to Colorado and
by 1869 were settled on a farm southwest of Longmont in the Pella
neighborhood. Mr. Cochran homesteaded land In the same area
20 May 1875 and purchased 80 acres from John A. Ellet, 16 Mar
In addition to running his farm, Mr. Cochran worked on the road
being constructed to Estes Park. In 1891, he and his wife took
the management of the Hygiene Sanitorium which was built In 1882
a resort for easterners suffering with tuberculosis who sought the
high, dry climate of Colorado for their health. The Sanitorium was
an impressive structure of three stories with 35 rooms and a
glassed-in sun deck, It was located just north of the present
Hygiene school and was razed in 1926.
Mr. and Mrs. Cochran were Interested in the early schools, were
active in civic and cultural affairs and gave generously of their
time and resources In the development of the community, The
Cochran and Rannells families were charter members and helped
organize the Upper St. Vrain Presbyterian Church at Pella, 24
October 1869, Samuel F. Rannells the first ordained elder, (Mr.
Rannells was also a charter member of the Valmont Presby Church.)
The First Presbyterian Church of Longmont was organized In 1871.
The 15 March 1872 it merged with the St. Vrain Church to become
Central Presbyterian Church of Longmont, among the charter members
were: Mr. S.F. Rannells, Mrs. Sarah Rannells, Mr. J.A. Cochran and
Mrs. Grace Cochran. Mr. and Mrs. Cochran taught classes in the
Sunday School for many years. The Centennial committee paid
tribute to these families for their out-standing service to the
church In the booklet
published in 1969, commemorating the I00th anniversary of the
founding of the church.
Mr. Cochran sold his farm in April 1910, which he had continued
to operate while residing In Hygiene, and he and Mrs. Cochran re-
tired to Longmont where he had purchased a home on Emery Street.
He was a member of the McPherson Post G.A.R. in Longmont and was
Junior Vice Commander at the time of his death. James A. Cochran
died 24 March 1924 In San Diego, California where they had gone to
spend the winter months. Mrs. Grace M. Cochran died 23 December
1933 in Longmont, Colorado. Both are buried in the Mt View Cem.
In Longmont. Their children:
- 2-1 Charles Hugh was born 15 Dee 1870 Boulder County, Colo. and
died 4 Mar 1871 near Longmont, Colo.
- 2-2 John S. was born 23 Jan 1872 Boulder County, Colo., and died
In Boulder 3 Nov 1947. He mar I Jan 1900 In Longmont, Colo.,
Florence Chapman, daughter of Joshua and Martha Chapman. No Ch.
- 2-3 Nellie Maria was born 18 Jan 1874 near Lyons, Colo., and died
In Longmont, Colo., 9 Apr 1934. She mar 7 Aug 1894 In Hygiene,
Colo. Frank H. Burch, son of William Wallace and Roxie J.
(Carter) Burch. He was born II Oct 1872, Hygiene, Colo., and
died 15 Feb 1958 in Boulder.
- 3-1 William James, born 9 Mar 1895, Hygienes Colo., mar Ada
Strong in 1916 In Hygiene, Colo. He died 27 Dec 1918 in
Hygiene, bur Hygiene Cem.
- 3-2 Grace Irene, born 28 Dee 1898, Hygiene, Colo., mar Boyd
Twain Clemens II Jan 1925 at Glendale, Calif. She died
5 Aug 1925 Glendale, Calif., bur Hygiene Cem.
- 3-3 Wanda Evelyn, b 7 may 1906, Hygiene, Colo., mar 2 May
1925, Dnever, Colo., Benjamin Franklin Armstead, son of
Wm. and Caroline (Fry) Armstead, he d 26 Mar 1973,
Boulder, Colo. Buried M't View Cem., Boulder.
- 4-1 Donald Burch, b. JO Sept 1926, San Diego, Calif.,
mar 18 Sept 1946 Denver, Colo., Nancy Ann Simons, dau
of Norman and Alice Simons. He died 7 May 1973 In
- 5-1 Bonnie Lee b 25 Oct 1947, Boulder, Colo. mar
24 June 1967 Thomas Mark Bomgardner. Both died in
a plane accident 18 Oct 1967, Santa Monica, Calif.
- 5-2 Donna Jean b 13 July 1947, Boulder, Colo. mar Ist 15 Aug 1970,
Jay Skruggs. mar 2nd 19 May 1972 John T. Adams.
- 5-3 Norman Wm. b II Oct 1950, Chula Vista, Calif.
(Twins) mar I Oct 1975 Nanette Faller,
- 5-4 Benjamin Richard b II Oct 1950, Chula Vista, Calif. mar
Kathryn Karrick In Longmont, Colo.
- 4-2 Richard Leroy, b II Mar 1931 Boulder, Colo., mar Ist
27 Sept 1950 Ann E. Walker. mar 2nd 19 Aug 1970 Joan
Eastin. Chld by Ist wf
- 5-1 Rhonda Dawn b 31 Mar 1951, Boulder, Colo.
mar Richard Peterson
- 5-2 Kit Eleese b II April 1952, Bouldero Colo. mar 20 Mar 1970
Darrel Sheridan, div 1972.
- 4-3 Betty Jane , b 18 Aug 1935 Boulder, Colo. mar
14 Sept 1953 Richard Wasson.
- 5-1 Dianne Kay, b 17 Nov 1955, Denver, Colo.
- 5-2 Elizabeth Ann, b 8 Nov 1958, Denver, Colo.
- 5-3 William Walter, b 28 June 1960, Boulder, Colo.
- 2-4 Elizabeth Eveline, was born 7 Mar 1876 near Lyons, Colo. mar 22
Dec 1896 Anson E. Burch. She d 23 Sept 1908. No ch.
- 2-5 Sarah (Sadie) J. was born 7 Apr 1879, Sunnysideq Colo., mar
14 Sept 1896 William J. Smith, son of Justice B. (Jess) and
Mary Jane (Harris) Smith. William J. d 24 Jan 1935. She mar
2nd 25 July 1941 M. Maxson. She d 28 Apr 1947.
- 3-1 Neva mar Roy Eislie
- 4-1 Kenneth
- 4-2 Donald 4-3
- Jack 4-4
- 3-2 Byron mar Irene
- 4-1 Sondra
- 4-2 William
- 4-3 Jerry
- 3-3 Frona mar Lee Powell
- Ref: Cochran Bible Record (Pub. BGSQ Vol. 6, No. 4)
- History of Ross Co. Ohio
- History of Hocking Valley Ohio
- Rannells Family Records
- DAR Records
- A Short History of the Presbyterian Ch. Longmont Colo.1944
- 1869-1969 Centennial Year of Presby. Ch in the St. Vrain
Valley, pub Longmontq Colo.
- They Came To Stay-I858-I9200 Centennial Edition, Longmont,
Colo. Pub by St. Vrain Hist. Soo.
- History of Denver--- Smiley, 1901
Information compiled by Wanda Burch Armstead