Industry Professor of Mechanical Engineering Design
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, City College of New York
- Endowed Chaired Professor - Industry Professor of Mechanical Engineering Design, 2006
- Originator and former Director of department's Industry/University Cooperative Project Center (I/UCPC)
- Fellow – American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1998
- Member of IBM Academy of Technology, 1990
- 26 patents filed and published with US Patent Office
- 16 Corporate Awards from IBM for Outstanding Technical ions
- 61 Invetions published in IBM Technical Bulletin
- Design of Medical Devices
- Sports Equipment Engineering and Design
- Design Methods
Sports Equipment Engineering – (a) Involved
with the measurement of golf club performance (trajectory,
impact location, impact force, etc). (b) Involved
with the determination of ski velocity, the dynamic
coefficient of friction between ski and snow, etc.
Design of Medical Devices – (a) Involved
with the design of various types of non-invasive
surgical instruments. (b) Involved with the development
of a murmur detection device. (c) Involved with
the design of an edema monitoring system. (d) Involved
with the development of a device to improve prostate cancer
High Speed Mechanisms – (a)Involved
with the testing and determination of disk
drive robustness . (b) Involved with the design
of high speed printer mechanisms involving paper
incrementing, print actuation, etc.
and Image Printing – (a) Involved
with the development of algorithms to improve the
quality of printed color images. (b) Involved with
the development of devices used for measuring printed
color and image quality.
- Paul Miller, Jack Zable et al, “Development
of a Prototype that Measures the Coefficient
of Friction between Skis and Snow”,Engineering
of Sport 6, Volume 1, PP 305-310, 2006
Buzek and Jack Zable, “Versatile
Disk Drive Shock Tester”, Journal
of Information Storage and Processing Systems, vol.
2, pp. 169-177, 2000.
- J.L. Zable and Y.C. Lee,
An Overview of Impact Printing,” IBM Journal of Research
and Development, vol. 41, No.
6, pp. 651-668, Nov. 1997.
- Two chapters in Text
book “Output Hardcopy
Devices”, Chapters 5 and 6, pp. 117-168, Academic
Lee, Larry Teklitz and J. Zable, “Gray
Scale Calibration Tool for Setting the Density
of a Printer,” U.S. 6,268,932 B1, July
- Jack Zable, Carroll Francis Hamill, “Non-Integer
Scaling of Raster Images with Image Quality
Enhancement,” U.S. 6,195,473 B1, Feb.
- Dennis C. Estabrooks, Jack Zable, “PQE
for Font Vs. Large Dark Patch,” U.S.
6,177,978 B1, Jan. 23, 2001.