My field of focus is Physics Education Research. I am a physicist who creates
and studies conditions which promote students' interest and ability in physics,
education and the intersection of these domains. I am deeply committed to blending
research, teaching, and community partnership. However, for the sake of this
web-page, I'll create some (artificial) boundaries.
||Classes offered (e.g. Fall 2003 Physics 2010)
||Professional activities and grants with which I'm involved
||A discussion of my research efforts and some sample papers (including
some student work).
||A description of my past and professional face
||Local (CU) and National (APS / AAPT / PER) Committees on which I serve
||A description of my illustrious activities outside the professional realm
In the News...
- CU Boudler and Finkelstein featured in NRC/ National Academies Report, Reaching Students: What Research Says About Effective Instruction in Undergraduate Science and Engineering (2015)
- Hinko & Finkelstein win 2015 University of Colorado Outreach Award (2015).
- Finkelstein wins CU student honor society, PhysicsProfessor of the Year. (Dec 2014)
- CU_Boulder, and Finkelstein, featured in the New York Times! (Dec 2014)
- Fineklstein named inaugural Timmerhaus Teaching Amabassador for the University of Colorado system (Nov 2014)
- Finkelstein joins the Board of Trustees of the Higher Learning Commission (one of 6 national accreditation boards for higher education) (Sept 2014).
- 3 Programs that we sponsor on grads in the community featured: : “CU-Boulder helps bridge gap between academia and public" (Dec 2013)
- Steve Pollock [my buddy and colleague] named U.S. Professor of the Year (Nov 2013)
- Five Questions feature in the CU Connections... learn a wee bit about my being a "brat" (Sept 2013).
- University of Colorado Boulder wins one of eight national awards from Association of American Universities in their STEM Edcuation Initiative (Jun 2013)
- Sloan Foundation and APLU launch national dialog towards a network of STEM education centers - Finkelstein as co-Director (May 2013)
- PER group featured in Swedish STEM education television feature. (Apr 2013).
- University of Colorado Launches Center for STEM Learning (Dec 2012)
- Promotion is official (May 2012).
- Finkelstein wins CU Outreach Award 2012-13 (May 2012)
- Finkelstein named Presidential Teaching Scholar for the University of Colorado system (Feb 2012)
- Finkelstein is elected to Fellowship in the American Physical Society (Dec 2011)
- Commissioned paper now appears on National Academies' effort in Discipline-based education research (Oct 2011)
- Finkelstein cited in Change Magazine.. nice article on engaging faculty by Pat Hutchings from Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
- Finkelstein joins Association of American Universities' Technical Advisory Board for a new effort in transforming undergraduate STEM education.
- Finkelstein featured in Italian magazine, D, article about Boulder http://periodici.repubblica.it/d/ (no740, article p 134) [or in PDF cover page, article p134, 136, 138, 140, 142, 144]
- Mayhew and Finkelstein win 2011 Diversity and Excellence Award- CU System-wide award.
- Finkelstein featured in two articles in University of Colorado Arts and Sciences magazine: on teaching and on narrowing the gender gap
- America COMPETES reauthorization passed for Presidential signature 12/21/10 (same bill Finkelstein testified for and worked on language)
- Finkelstein featured in new SPIE video, discussing PER, education, scientists roles in education, and opportunities for students (Dec '10)
- A new Science article on Reducing the Gender Gap and Affirmation Intervention, and some of the related press on Slate, PBS, Scientific American, (Nov '10)
- Recent papers: paper (Jun - Dec '10) on Faculty Practices, Quantum Sophistication, Learning Assistants, Institutional Transformation, and Gender
- Finkelstein gives a lead address at Best Practices in Teaching and Learning Science conference in Puerto Rico. (Oct 2010)
- Finkelstein quoted in Science, on new NSF GRF line STEM Education Research (Oct 2010).
- Briefing to CO State and National congressional delegations: A presentation at the CO-LABS briefing by national labs and university Aug 2010.
- Finkelstein and Otero present STEM Education programs and results to the University of Colorado Board of Regents on STEM, Jun 2010.
- Finkelstein wins 2010 Outstanding Faculty Graduate Advising Award, University of Colorado, campus-wide award. May 2010
- Finkelstein testifies at US Congress. House Science and Technology Committee. Feb 4, 2010.
_ Hearings on Strengthening Undergraduate and Graduate STEM Education, Reauthorizing America COMPETES Act.
_ Watch the Testimony (needs RealPlayer). Read his testimony (11 pages). Exec. Summary of Oral. (AAPT press release & CU Press release )
- Featured in STEM in Ed News Colorado, January 2010.
- STEM Education Initiatives Highlighted at White House visit by Chancellor (more info)
- Finkelstein to give plenary address at South African Math and Science Education Research (SAARMSTE) conference
- Finkelstein and Mayhew win University of Colorado's 2009 Diversity & Excellence Award for work with PISEC
- Finkelstein featured in CU Arts and Sciences Magazine (Dec 2009).
- Finkelstein in Inside Higher Education piece about transforming education (Oct 2009).
- New initiative Integrating STEM Education at the University of Colorado kicks-off: (more info)
Led by the Chancellor, directed by Finkelstein, Otero,Klymkowsky, Stade, Reamon, and Kotys-Schwartz (Aug 2009).
- Finkelstein appointed to APS Committee on Education (2009), his 5th national committee
- Promoted to Associate Professor in April 2008
- Finkelstein wins 2007, Boulder campus-wide teaching award (April 2007)
- Colorado Learning Assistant Program written up in Science magazine (July 2007)
- Hour long radio-interview and call in show on KGNU, regarding the state of science education (July 2007)
- Finkelstein profiled in Science Magazine's Careers (Oct 2007). of PDF
- An Assoc. Press article on college science teaching, quotes Finkelstein, appearing in the NYTimes and elsewhere (Nov 2007) or PDF
Read Edith Gelles' ( mom's!) new book on John and Abigail Adams.
Last updated: Jan 2015.
mailing address: Department of Physics, UCB390, Boulder, CO 80309-0390
Links / Returns:
University of Colorado > Physics