“Against Eating Humanely-Raised Meat: Revisiting Fred’s Basement,” Journal of Animal Ethics, forthcoming.
“Environmental Ethics and Climate Change,” Introduction to Ethics: An Open Educational Resource, edited by Noah Levin, N.G.E. Far Press, 2019, pp. 98-103.
While working on my dissertation, I reviewed Michael J. Zimmerman's book Ignorance and Moral Obligation for the Journal of Moral Philosophy. You can read the submitted version of that review here and the published version here.
In my dissertation, Moral Obligation, Evidence, and Belief, I argue that if we pay careful attention to the nature of the concept obligation and the way we use the phrase "moral obligation," we will see that there are good reasons for rejecting objectivism about moral obligation, the view that our moral obligations do not depend on our beliefs or our evidence, in favor of subjectivism about moral obligation, the view that our moral obligations depend on our beliefs. It follows that an agent has violated (or, at least, failed to meet) one of his or her moral obligations if and only if he or she has done something blameworthy. It also follows that consequentialists and deontologists do not (or, at least, should not) disagree about what agents are morally obligated to do so much as what it would be best for agents to do.
I have written two essays for 1000-Word Philosophy. You can find those at the links provided below.
Work in Progress
I am currently working on a number of papers in which I argue either against objectivism about moral obligation or for subjectivism about moral obligation.
"The Moral 'Ought' and Moral Obligation"
- 2018 Annual Meeting of the Ohio Philosophical Association, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, April 7, 2018.
- 2018 Spring Meeting of the West Virginia Philosophical Association, Ashland University, Ashland, Ohio, March 16-17, 2018.
- 2016 Pacific Division Meeting of the American Philosophical Association, Main Program, San Francisco, CA, March 30-April 3, 2016.
"Moral Obligation and Punishment"
- 2019 Eastern Division Meeting of the American Philosophical Association, Poster Session, New York, NY, January 7-10, 2019.
- 2017 Annual Meeting of the Central States Philosophical Association, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, October 27-28, 2017.
- 2017 Annual Meeting of the Mountain-Plains Philosophy Conference, Weber State University, Ogden, UT, October 12-14, 2017.
"In Defense of Subjectivism about Moral Obligation"
- 2018 Great Lakes Philosophy Conference, Siena Heights University, Adrian, MI, April 6-8, 2018.
- 2018 Eastern Division Meeting of the American Philosophical Association, Main Program, Savannah, GA, January 3-6, 2018.