Schedule Sponsors Speakers Hotel Information, Restaurants in Boulder Contacts
Ninth Annual Groupoidfest
Department of Mathematics, University of Colorado at Boulder
October 2 - 5, 2003
This year, the Groupoidfest is being held in honor of
Professor Arlan Ramsay of the University of Colorado.
This fall, the ninth annual Groupoidfest is going to be held in Boulder, Colorado, immediately following the regional meeting of the American Mathematical Society that is being held on our campus October 2-4, 2003. The Groupoidfest was originally organized in 1995 by our own Professor Arlan Ramsay to bring together once a year the experts in the applications of the abstract notion of groupoids. This notion has turned out to have applications in many different fields of mathematics, including analysis (ergodic theory and topological dynamics), geometry (non-commutative differential geometry), and algebra (categorical methods). In many ways, Professor Ramsay is the mathematician who first realized the value of the concept of a groupoid. Professor Ramsay retired at the end of the 2002-2003 academic year, and this ninth Groupoidfest, or Arlanfest, is being held in his honor.
The AMS Special Session "Groupoids in Analysis and Geometry" is meant to dovetail into the Groupoidfest. This session will have 18 speakers giving short talks on their groupoid-related research, and will be held on Thursday and Friday, October 2 and 3. As for the Groupoidfest proper, there will be invited one-hour talks on Saturday and Sunday October 4 and 5.
This is an open meeting with no registration fees. However, the AMS Sectional Meeting which precedes and overlaps with the Groupoid fest has a registration fee ($40 for members, $60 for non-members).
Invited One-Hour Groupoidfest Speakers
(Saturday October 4 and Sunday October 5)
- Claire Anatharaman-Delaroche, University of Orleans
- Nigel Higson, Pennsylvania State University
- Alexander Kechris, California Institute of Technology
- Paul Muhly, University of Iowa
- Ian Putnam, University of Victoria
- Jean Renault, University of Orleans
Schedule of Saturday and Sunday talks
Invited Speakers in the AMS Special Session
on Groupoids in Analysis in Geometry
(Thursday October 2 and Friday October 3)
This special session of the AMS sectional meeting is organized by Lawrence Baggett of the University of Colorado, Jerry Kaminker of Indiana-Purdue University at Indianapolis, and Judith Packer of the University of Colorado. Speakers in this session include:
Berndt Brenken of University of Calgary, Valentin Deaconu of University of Nevada at Reno, Ray Fabec of LSU, Alexander Gorokhovsky of the University of Colorado, Steve Kaliszewski of Arizona State University, Jerry Kaminker of IUPUI, Masoud Khalkhali of Western Ontario University, Alex Kumjian of the University of Nevada at Reno, Kathy Merrill of Colorado College, Karla Oty of Colorado State University - Pueblo, Alan Paterson of the University of Mississippi, John Quigg of Arizona State University, Birant Ramazan of the University of Nevada at Reno, Arlan Ramsay of the University of Colorado, Fred Schultz of Wellesley College, Jack Spielberg of Arizona State University, Marty Walter of the University of Colorado, and Dana Williams of Dartmouth College.
Schedule for AMS Special Session on Groupoids in Analysis and Geometry:
- Thursday October 2, morning Special Session Schedule
- Thursday October 2, afternoon Special Session Schedule
- Friday October 3 morning Special Session Schedule
- Friday October 3, afternoon Special Session Schedule
See the Information about hotels in Boulder affiliated with the Sectional AMS meeting given out by the AMS.
The National Institute of Standards in Boulder has another list of hotels with links, but it may be somewhat out of date.
- Check out the Campus Map. The Mathematics building is labeled "MATH" and is at the intersection of Colorado Ave. and Folsom Aves. The Engineering Center is just south of the Mathematics Building, just east of Colorado Ave.
- A Sectional meeting of the American Mathematical Society precedes and overlaps with the Groupoidfest. The Special Sessions "Groupoids in Analysis and Geometry" has been organized to lead into the Groupoidfest; talks for this session will be held Thursday and Friday morning and Thursday and Friday afternoon, October 2 and 3, 2003.
- The Special Session on Groupoids in Geometry and Analysis talks will be held in Room 133, first floor, Engineering Center. The Saturday and Sunday Groupoidfest talks will be held in Math. 350. Here is the Math Department Home Page.
- A banquet in honor of Arlan will be held at Dolan's Restaurant, Arapahoe Road, on Saturday evening, October 4, 2003. The cost is $25 per person, to be paid in cash or check to Judith Packer, prior to the event.
For more information, please contact Lawrence Baggett or Judith Packer.
Back to the home page of the Department of Mathematics, University of Colorado at Boulder.