My field of focus is Physics Education Research. I am a physicist who
creates and studies conditions which promote students' interest and ability in
physics, education and the intersection of these domains. I am deeply committed
to blending research, teaching, and community partnership. However, for the
sake of this web-page, I'll create some (artificial) boundaries.
offered (e.g. Fall 2003 Physics 2010)
activities and grants with which I'm involved
discussion of my research efforts and some sample papers (including some
description of my past and professional face
(CU) and National (APS / AAPT / PER) Committees on which I serve
description of my illustrious activities outside the professional realm
In the News...
Finkelstein named Marinus Smith Awardee (from parents
and students) Teaching Award 2022.
- After 10 years (2011-2021)as founding co-director Center for STEM Learning we have a new director!! Congratulations
Dr. Brad McLain!
- Teaching evaluation project discussed in Physics Today (pg 24) Jan, 2020.
- Quoted in NSF First national INCLUDES report (see page 3), 2018.
- Featured in Brookings Instituion Blog on educaiotnal
transormaiton and opporutity (2018).
- Featured in AAU & Cotrell Scholars call for Scholarly Teaching Evaluation (2017)
- A fun PodCast, on Teaching and Learning, and my
philosophy of teaching & learning
Finkelsein interview (podcast #25) on the TeachBetter Podcast from
Yale. (Feb 2016)
- Finkelstein to co-Direct new national Network of STEM Education Centers (2015)
- CU Boudler and Finkelstein featured in NRC/ National
Academies Report, Reaching Students: What Research Says About Effective
Instruction in Undergraduate Science and Engineering (2015)
- Hinko & Finkelstein win 2015 University of Colorado
Outreach Award, Incorporating Physics and Performance Art in PISEC
- Finkelstein wins CU student honor society,
PhysicsProfessor of the Year. (Dec 2014)
- CU_Boulder, and Finkelstein, featured in the New York Times! (Dec 2014)
- Fineklstein named inaugural Timmerhaus Teaching
Amabassador for the University of Colorado system (Nov 2014)
- Finkelstein joins the Board of Trustees of the Higher Learning Commission
(one of 6 national accreditation boards for higher education) (Sept 2014).
- 3 Programs that we sponsor on grads in the community
featured: : “CU-Boulder helps bridge gap between academia and public"
- Steve Pollock [my buddy and colleague] named U.S. Professor of the Year (Nov 2013)
- Five Questions feature in the CU Connections... learn
a wee bit about my being a "brat" (Sept 2013).
- University of Colorado Boulder wins one of eight national awards from Association of American
Universities in their STEM
Edcuation Initiative (Jun 2013)
- Sloan Foundation and APLU launch national dialog towards
a network of STEM education centers - Finkelstein as
co-Director (May 2013)
- PER group featured in Swedish STEM education television feature. (Apr 2013).
- University of Colorado Launches Center for STEM
Learning (Dec 2012)
- Promotion is official (May 2012).
- Finkelstein wins CU Outreach Award 2012-13 (May 2012)
- Finkelstein named Presidential Teaching Scholar for the
University of Colorado system (Feb 2012)
- Finkelstein is elected to Fellowship in the American Physical Society (Dec 2011)
- Commissioned paper now appears on National Academies' effort in Discipline-based education research (Oct 2011)
- Finkelstein cited in Change Magazine.. nice article on engaging faculty by
Pat Hutchings from Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
- Finkelstein joins Association of American Universities'
Technical Advisory Board for a new
effort in transforming undergraduate STEM education.
- Finkelstein featured in Italian magazine, D, article
about Boulder http://periodici.repubblica.it/d/
(no740, article p 134) [or in PDF cover page,
article p134, 136, 138,
- Mayhew and Finkelstein win 2011 Diversity and Excellence Award- CU System-wide award.
- Finkelstein featured in two articles in University of
Colorado Arts and Sciences magazine: on teaching and on narrowing the gender gap
- America COMPETES reauthorization passed for Presidential signature 12/21/10 (same bill
Finkelstein testified for and worked on language)
- Finkelstein featured in new SPIE video,
discussing PER, education, scientists roles in education, and
opportunities for students (Dec '10)
- A new Science article on Reducing
the Gender Gap and Affirmation Intervention, and some of the related
press on Slate,
PBS, Scientific American, (Nov '10)
- Recent papers: paper (Jun - Dec '10) on Faculty Practices, Quantum Sophistication, Learning Assistants, Institutional Transformation, and Gender
- Finkelstein gives a lead address at Best Practices in Teaching and Learning Science
conference in Puerto Rico. (Oct 2010)
- Finkelstein quoted in Science, on new NSF GRF line STEM Education Research
- Briefing to CO State and National congressional
delegations: A presentation at the CO-LABS briefing by national labs and
university Aug 2010.
- Finkelstein and Otero present STEM Education programs
and results to the
University of Colorado Board of Regents on STEM, Jun 2010.
- Finkelstein wins 2010 Outstanding Faculty Graduate
Advising Award, University of Colorado, campus-wide award. May 2010
- Finkelstein testifies at US Congress. House Science and
Technology Committee. Feb 4, 2010.
_ Hearings on Strengthening Undergraduate and Graduate STEM
Education, Reauthorizing America COMPETES Act.
_ Watch the Testimony (needs RealPlayer). Read his testimony (11 pages). Exec. Summary of
Oral. (AAPT press release & CU Press release )
- Featured in STEM in Ed News Colorado, January 2010.
- STEM Education Initiatives Highlighted at White House
visit by Chancellor (more info)
- Finkelstein to give plenary address at South African Math
and Science Education Research (SAARMSTE)
- Finkelstein and Mayhew win University of Colorado's 2009
Diversity & Excellence Award for work with PISEC
- Finkelstein featured in CU Arts and Sciences Magazine (Dec 2009).
- Finkelstein in Inside
Higher Education piece about transforming education (Oct 2009).
- New initiative Integrating STEM Education at the University of
Colorado kicks-off: (more info)
.... Led by the Chancellor, directed by Finkelstein, Otero,Klymkowsky,
Stade, Reamon, and Kotys-Schwartz (Aug 2009).
- Finkelstein appointed to APS Committee on Education (2009), his 5th national
- Promoted to Associate Professor in April 2008
- Finkelstein wins 2007, Boulder campus-wide teaching award (April 2007)
- Colorado Learning Assistant Program written up in Science
magazine (July 2007)
- Hour long radio-interview and call in show on KGNU, regarding
the state of science education (July 2007)
- Finkelstein profiled in Science Magazine's Careers (Oct 2007). of PDF
- An Assoc. Press article on college science teaching,
quotes Finkelstein, appearing in the NYTimes and elsewhere (Nov 2007) or PDF
Read Edith Gelles'
( mom's!) new book on John and Abigail Adams.
Last updated: Jul 2019.
mailing address: Department of Physics, UCB390, Boulder, CO 80309-0390
Links / Returns:
University of Colorado > Physics